The E&T is one of the BCA’s Standing Committees, who meet as necessary to discuss matters relating to national E&T matters. As a Standing Committee, it is available to a voting representative of each of the BCA’s Constituent Bodies and Regional Councils and the E&T Officer is both the convenor of the E&T Committee and a BCA Council member.
The aim of the BCA’s E&T Committee is to bring together expertise to discuss:
- Fixed aids used in caving (e.g. anchors).
- Best practices for equipment care and maintenance.
- Evaluation and testing of new and existing equipment.
- Determination of equipment life cycles.
The anchor scheme is a program of research into suitable anchors and resins, and establishing best practices for the installation of anchors in order to replace ageing spit anchors in caves across the UK.
The Anchor scheme, undertakes to train installers of anchors, to log all installations, and to provide insurance for all registered installers, and the anchors they have placed.
The E&T Committee released a statement on the Anchor Scheme in 2011 which you can read here.
You can find out more about the E&Ts Anchor Scheme using the links below:
The E&T also operate a rope-testing service to help cavers better understand the integrity of their ropes.
- Anchor Policy
- Our full Anchor Policy Document outlining expectations for RCCs and those involved in anchor installation.
- Safety Information for Cavers Using Resin Bonded Anchors
- Key safety messages about the use of any BCA-approved resin bonded anchors
- Comparison of Alpine and Cavers Butterfly Knots
- An in-depth comparison of these two types of butterfly knot with recommendations.
- Warning about use of Pulley and Jammer Combo
- A warning about dangers associated to using a pulley and jammer in combination when hauling or belaying.
- BCA Statement on Chloride Stress Corrosion Cracking
- Summary of observations from BCA E&T on the impact of chloride on stainless steel.
- Paper on Chloride Stress Corrosion Cracking
- Full papers on BCA observations of chloride impact on stainless steel.