This page is about the Youth & Development Working Group. For more general information check out the Youth & Development page.
The Y&D is one of the BCA’s Working Groups, who meet as necessary to discuss matters relating to supporting youth caving within the BCA.
We have done so by bringing together the National Caving Scout Active Support Unit (NCSASU) the Council of Higher Education Caving Clubs (CHECC) and other BCA volunteers. This has helped us to learn from each other and support the different projects each section has going on.
The Y&D Officer is both the convenor of the Y&D Working Group and a BCA Council member.
- We support newly formed caving clubs for youth groups by drafting constitutions, risk assessments, good practice guidelines and taking the bureaucracy out of caving.
- We offer advice to clubs on how to make themselves more family friendly and engage with youth caving. Imogen Furlong is our Family Caving Lead.
- We can provide low cost kit loans to new clubs.
- We represent and advise clubs on discussions with Athletic/Student Unions and National Governing Bodies over insurance and leadership schemes.
- We help to deliver regional and national training events, including sourcing loans or grants for such events from BCA.
- We offer contacts with like-minded volunteers to help get your project off the ground.
- We take on cases of age discrimination against our members.
- We represent the interests of young people on BCA council and have a real impact – for example making BCA membership for under 18s free.
- Offering support for student clubs with a real understanding of the challenges they face.
Policies & Guidelines
- Guidelines for University and College Caving Clubs
- Guidance for the establishment and operation of university and college clubs within the informal environment of recreational caving.
- BCA Youth and Development Lend to Buy Scheme
- A BCA financial scheme to provide substantial assistance to new clubs aimed at under-18s or those in further education, to help them purchase equipment to get started.
- BCA Youth and Development Kit Loan Scheme
- A financial scheme for smaller loans to support existing university clubs, administered by CHECC and BCA in collaboration.
Working Group Documentation
- March 2021 Report for council
- Report distributed to BCA council in advance of the 30 March 2021 council meeting.
- February 2021 minutes
- The first meeting in a few months of the working group, and we went through the current status of ongoing projects and set out the goals to be achieved before the next meeting, planned for 26 May 2021