To become a Club Member, all members of the club must themselves be individual BCA members (either CIMs or DIMs or a mixture of the two). Consequently, many clubs choose to process BCA CIM membership on their members’ behalf for simplicity and as a benefit to their members.
Club membership carries the membership benefit of public liability insurance for that organisation. The BCA will work on behalf of all our member clubs and represent their needs nationally wherever possible. Member clubs will receive BCA communications as well as representation on BCA National Council. It is also worth noting that access to some speleological sites across the UK may be restricted to individuals who belong to BCA member clubs (this is not a restriction imposed or endorsed by the BCA).
The cost of Club Membership has been reduced this year to £25 regardless of the number of members.
A supplementary fee must be paid if the club is an Access Controlling Body (i.e. they control access to any caves or mines), if they are an accommodation provider (e.g. a club with a bunkhouse) or if the club wishes to join the British Cave Research Association (BCRA).
|is an Access Controlling Body||£60|
|BCRA membership (optional)||£28 / £16 (paperless)|
A Club wishing to apply for Club Membership for the first time should be aware that the guidelines used by BCA to determine suitability for club membership are:
- The club has a major aim or objective that is in support of the sport of caving, mine exploration, cave science, cave and mine conservation or caver training.
- The club consists primarily of individual members (BCA would normally expect there to be at least four members).
- The club annually elects at least two officers.
- The club is controlled by its members.
To demonstrate these points the club should submit a copy of its constitution with a first-time membership application which will, typically, include:
- A statement of the aims of the club.
- Provision for holding general meetings together with mention of a quorum and of voting fractions required to pass motions and amend the constitution.
- A system for election of at least two officers.
Finally, a statement of approximately 100-200 words should be supplied outlining the background to the club and why they wish to be members of BCA.