The BCA has a Public Liability Insurance policy that provides £10M indemnity to full members as a membership benefit. It has also negotiated a Travel Insurance policy for BCA members that will cover caving abroad.
Public Liability Insurance
The BCA Public Liability Insurance (PLI) policy provides £10 million indemnity cover to all full members as a benefit of membership. This includes:
- Club Individual Members
- Direct Individual Members
- Club (Group) Members
- Access Controlling Bodies Group Members
- Our Regional Councils and Constituent Bodies
The Public Liability Scheme is fully administered by BCA and is integral to BCA Membership for individuals. The fundamental purpose of the policy is to indemnify landowners over whose land cavers need permission to pass in order to visit certain sites around the UK, but it also provides for liability insurance for BCA members..
It’s important for BCA members to understand how this scheme works. Basically, BCA purchases a single annual policy which covers all members and member organisations for all of the activities which have been agreed between ourselves and the insurer (details are found in the policy documents). The relevant cover is then provided as a benefit of membership.
- What to do in the event of a claim
- Broker’s confirmation of cover
- Indemnity to Principals Clause
- Full policy document
- Insurance & Membership FAQs
In recent years, cavers travelling abroad on expedition have had to buy their travel insurance from various commercial outlets, however many have had concerns – is cave exploration covered? What are the age limits? Will the insurer actually pay out?
The BCA have been working hard on behalf of our members to solve this problem and are pleased to announce the launch of BCA Member Caving Cover. This is an adventure insurance policy specifically negotiated by the BCA to meet the needs of expedition cavers. It includes:
- An underwritten policy for UK resident cavers caving abroad.
- Realistic search and rescue cover and age limits
- All expedition members can be insured on one policy
- Rescue expenses can be covered, even in an area with no local rescue back up.
- Three options – All expedition members, individual annual, or single trip.
You can also phone P J Hayman & Company Limited on 02392 419 896