Hi Footleg,Footleg wrote:Hi Cookie,
This is not really the right forum topic for this, so please let me know where the best place is to discuss the National Cave Registry. I am very interested in this project (and having been learning a bit of PHP and MySQL in order to deal with GPS data on the ULSA website I might be able to help out?). I've also been collecting data via GPS for Yorkshire caves, which I cannot find a public source of.
Here is a good place for it.
I appreciate your offer and would like to take you up on it. I have it all spec'd out in my head and some of it even written down, but can't find the time to do the actual coding.
Have a look at the proposal on http://www.british-caving.org.uk/?page=30. Things have moved on since I wrote it, but its broadly correct.
Some of the key points:
* The National Registry acts as a index into the distributed local registries.
* The National Registry's contribution is the allocation of the unique reference number.
* The work is distributed because one person alone can not do this.
* Start simple and expand it later.
* The data contributers retain control over their data.
There is plenty of other stuff as well, the coding is almost the easy bit.
Lets talk at Hidden Earth.