The British Caving Association

Any views expressed are not necessarily those of the BCA
It is currently Sat 20 Sep 2014 02:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun 30 Oct 2011 14:41 

Cave & Karst Science, Cave Technology Issue - call for papers

Back in 2008, BCRA's Special Interest Groups were invited by the editors of Cave & Karst Science to guest-edit a special issue, focussing on 'Cave Technology' - radio, surveying, data-logging, and so on. This was seen as an excellent opportunity for CREG, and BCRA's other Special Interest Groups, to advertise their work to a wider audience. Since September 2008 I have, from time to time, issued a "call for papers" such as the one at http://bcra.org.uk/creg/cks_tech_issue.html but there has been little response so far.

I know that there is plenty of work going on that could be written up for Cave & Karst Science. But equally, I know that all of you are, like me, too busy to give a high priority to "writing up". However, we cannot really let this drag on any longer, as the editors of Cave & Karst Science need to be able to plan ahead. (Forward-planning is important for C&KS because of BCRA's intended application for it to be listed in the Science Citation Index or, as it is known now, the Thomson Reuters Web of Knowledge).

I issued a FINAL call for papers on 24 June 2011 and I did not get ANY response. Therefore, I shall now be informing the editors, John Gunn and David Lowe, that we will NOT be going ahead with this idea.

This does not, of course, prevent you from submitting a cave technology paper directly to the editors, for printing in a "general" issue of C&KS (as I shall be doing myself). However, the original thought behind the concept of a cave technology issue was that it would be better to concentrate a series of "non karst" papers in a single issue, perhaps with a slightly different editorial stance. Clearly there is no "will" for that to happen.