2 cavers on a trip in Long Rake Mine, Bradwell Moor, during the Spring Bank Holiday weekend encountered "bad air", stated to be carbon monoxide. They were so badly affected that, after they had surfaced, they had to call the emergency services to take them to hospital for emergency treatment and were kept in for 24 hours.
Warning signs have been placed at the shaft top and the farmer, Mr. Hadfield, is refusing permission for access for the time being. Please ensure that club members and caving colleagues are aware of the danger and please stay away for the present.
DCA will be investigating to try to identify the source of the problem. We will keep everyone informed of progress via the internet.
Jenny Potts, DCA Hon. Secretary