The British Caving Association

Any views expressed are not necessarily those of the BCA
It is currently Thu 19 Oct 2017 02:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed 19 May 2010 20:08 

My book, Channel Characterisation and System Design for Sub-Surface Communications, essentially a copy of my 2003 PhD thesis, is now available for sale at Lulu. A companion volume, Cave Radiolocation, a selection of reprints of CREG articles from 1994 to 2006, is also available. These 2010 editions are essentially the same as the 2004 'un-published' editions that I used to sell myself, but with swankier covers. Go to my storefront at http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fStoreID=486101 or, for further information, go to my Cave Radio page at http://caves.org.uk/radio

Details of each book follow...

Cave Radiolocation by David Gibson. ISBN 978-1-4457-7105-2. Softbound, 76pp, A4. Published by the author via Lulu Enterprises, Inc.
Description: This book is a collection of essays on radiolocation in caves, and related topics. Most of the articles have previously been published in the journal of the Cave Radio and Electronics Group, a special interest group of the British Cave Research Association. The topic is approached from a theoretical point-of-view, studying the mechanism of propagation of the fields, and how their measurement can be used to provide a location tool for use in cave surveying. In addition, other peripheral topics are covered, such as channel sounding, electronic measurement of clinometer angle and the copyright of cave surveys.
Keywords: cave surveying, channel sounding, electromagnetic theory, field gradient, radiolocation.

Channel Characterisation and System Design for Sub-Surface Communications by David Gibson. ISBN 978-1-4457-6953-0. Softbound, 298pp, A4. Published by the author via Lulu Enterprises, Inc.
Description: This book is a theoretical study of subterranean radio communication, with the focus being on methods that depend primarily on the penetration of electromagnetic fields through the ground. Through-the-earth communication using electromagnetic fields - specifically magnetic induction - plays a role in search and rescue systems used in the mining industry. It is also used for borehole telemetry, pipeline location and by cavers and pot-holers. Chapters describe propagation, antennas, and the design of transmitters and receivers. A figure of merit - the specific aperture - is introduced as an aid to antenna design. A crucial aspect of all systems is the signal to noise ratio, for which the strategy of noise-matching is introduced. The design of a wide-band low-frequency sounder is described, for channel evaluation using a non-ideal binary sequence. A method of calculating the inverse of a generalised sequence is described, for which cross-correlation results in a system identification signal.
Keywords: atmospheric noise, cave radio, channel sounding, electromagnetic theory, inverse sequence, mine rescue, noise-matching, noise temperature, propagation, radiolocation, sequence design, specific aperture, sub-surface communication.
Corrigenda: If you have a copy of the unpublished edition (V1.1; 2004) you may wish to download a corrigenda from http://caves.org.uk/radio/corrigenda.pdf